Are you interested in obtaining a PhD in the Humanities with an emphasis on African American/Africana Studies? Are you looking for graduate training that emphasizes public scholarship, community outreach, collections-based research, and digital humanities? The African American Public Humanities Initiative (AAPHI) provides stipend support for PhD students in History, English, and Art History in a five-year, 12month, cohort based program.
Benefits of the AAPHI Scholars Program:
- Tuition remission and yearly stipend for five years
- Professional Development funding of up to $2,000 per academic year to attend conferences and training
- Summer research/internships funding of up to $4,500 per academic year
- An internationally recognized faculty engaged in innovative research in digital scholarship, public humanities, and material culture studies.
- UD’s campus is located mid-way between NYC and DC, close to Philadelphia and about an hour from Baltimore. In other words, it sits in the middle of one of the most important cultural hubs in the world
“With the African American Public Humanities Initiative at the University of Delaware, we ground public engagement and applied scholarship from and in African American contexts. We harness digital technology to both bring Africana scholarship into the public sphere, and to address public issues around which we conduct scholarship. We are also committed to preparing graduate students for careers in public life – as community justice workers, curators, digital archivists and as professors speaking to public issues.”
Ready to Apply?:
- Step 1: Contact the department for which you will be applying to a PhD program to confirm dates & application process.
- Step 2: Create an account in the UD Slate System to apply to your program of choice.
Please check the department website for application deadlines for the program to which you are applying.
Department of Art History Deadline for application to program: January 1st, 2021
Department of English Deadline for application to program: January 1st, 2021
Department of History Deadline for application to program: January 5th, 2021
Please be sure to select the African American Public Humanities Initiative tab on the departmental application to express your interest and to be considered for this program. You will then be contacted by the AAPHI program.